Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Wealth of Words Wednesday #2: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde


Previous Installments:


Usually, I don't find enough new (or forgotten by me) words to fill a post just from one book, but all of these words are from The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. More surprisingly, that book is relatively short (less than 200 pages).


The first word is: pedant

The sentence in which I found it:

O, I know he's a good fellow- you needn't frown- an excellent fellow, and I always mean to see more of him; but a hide-bound pedant for all that;...

From The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson, 22% Kindle edition.

a. someone who is extremely concerned with minor details or rules

b. a soldier of fortune, or a mercenary

c. an officious peddler of jewelry


The second word is: sedulous

The sentence in which I found it:

He now begs them to search with most sedulous care, and should any of the same quality be left, forward it to him at once.

From The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson, 51% Kindle edition.

a. showing continued hard work and dedication

b. showing tenderness and benevolence

c. showing conceit and egotism


The third word is: incipient

The sentence in which I found it:

This bore some resemblance to incipient rigour, and was accompanied by a marked sinking of the pulse.

From The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson, 68% Kindle edition.

a. something discerning or marked

b. slumberous or inactive

c. beginning to happen or develop


Correct Answers (Highlight to View):

1. (pedant) a. someone who is extremely concerned with minor details or rules 2. (sedulous) a. showing continued hard work and dedication 3. (incipient) c. beginning to happen or develop

Have you encountered any of these words before? Which new words have you come across recently?

2 comments:

  1. I really did not know the first two, but guessed correctly. I did know the third one from my journalism internship. They loved that word in political reporting. Ha ha. It made them sound educated. I love this feature. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been difficult to make up alternate answers for some of these- the sentences they come with generally give you a good idea of what they mean. I didn't know incipient would be a political type of term! It's funny, ever since I started listing this wealth of words, I tend to find them in whatever I'm reading. Maybe I wasn't paying attention before.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...