Sunday, February 28, 2016

SFF: The 5 Paper Books You Treasure Most

Sunday Fun Five #48:


#48: The 5 Paper Books You Treasure Most
For the 13th of March: #49: The 5 Books That Had You at "Hello"
Part of Feel the Paper Love February

A Countdown of

The 5 Paper Books You Treasure Most



5. My First Edition Copy of Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood
I picked this one up due to its unusual cover, and it has become one of those intensely personal books to me. I really need to reread it, as I keep wondering if my reaction will be as intense as it was the first time I read it.


4. My Vintage Copy of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
I've grown attached to this one due to its cover, and the fact it's one of my favorite books ever. I often think of Manderley, particularly in my dreams...


3. My Hardcover Copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
This is my permanent reminder of how I won't parent my children, if I should ever have said children. This book was banned in my house growing up due to my father's dislike of 'magic'. You'll notice one of my most prevalent tags on this blog is 'magic'. I managed to keep this, despite times I hid it under my bed hoping it wouldn't disappear, and reading it under my covers or in the dead of night so I wouldn't get 'caught'. My father also loved taking away the books I was currently reading when I was 'bad' (for full disclosure, I was a good child/teen- I never drank, smoked, stole, or fought, I had better grades than my brothers did, but I would not [and will never] respect someone who treats women [or anyone else, for that matter] like dirt). If you want to be a good parent, don't be a control freak, a narcissist, or take away your children's books.
...unless, of course, you enjoy being anonymously defamed on the internet. ;)


2. My Signed Copy of The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
This is one of my favorite fantasy books. I likely will never be able to review it to my satisfaction, which is why I haven't yet, and I took quite the journey (click link above to read about said journey) to get this copy of it. I'm never letting it go, now that it's finally in my grasp. Muahahahahahaha...haha... ahem.



The book on the left is my grandmother's copy
1. My Grandmother's Copy of Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
This one holds a lot of sentimental value, not really because of the book itself, but due to the person who owned it. If Goodwill ever received it, it would be thrown straight into the trash, but for me, it's a treasure.

Do you have certain paper books that you hold dear? What makes you want to keep them?

2 comments:

  1. My mother went on a Evangelical Baptist kick from when I was six, right after she divorced my father, until I was 14 when my stepfather had had enough of her "rules" and revolted. So if the Harry Potter books had published during those times, I would not have been allowed to read them either, so I understand where you are coming from. I have a paperback copy of a book called Story Teller by Amy Thomson. I found it on a $1.00 book rack at Dollar General. The image on the cover is quite unique so I was drawn to it. It is a Sci-fi/Fantasy mash-up. My ON of To Kill a Mockingbird, from high school, is beat up like your Gone With the Wind, but is precious to me like that, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay with banning some things, but banning books has never made sense to me (being a learning advocate, free speech promoter, and bookworm). To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those books I really (really) need to get around to reading- it's difficult to find in thrift stores, which is where I usually pick up my classics. I think that's a sign of a remarkably beloved book (considering how many copies are floating around out there).
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...