Sunday, November 8, 2015

SFF: The 5 Books You Want to Read Before 2015 Ends

The Sunday Fun Five #40

Sunday Fun 5:
#38: The 5 Scary-Sounding Books You Want to Read
#39: The 5 Scary Movies You Want to Read the Book Version Of
#40: The 5 Books You Want to Read Before 2015 Ends
For the 22nd of November: #41: The 5 Characters from Books You're Grateful For

A Countdown of

 The 5 Books You Want to Read Before 2015 Ends



5. Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters #1) by Juliet Marillier
I've heard ridiculously good things about this fantasy book, and yet it still languishes on my shelf, untouched. If I do manage to finish some more fantasy books before 2015 ends, this is one of the ones I want to read.


4. Out by Natsuo Kirino
I mostly want to read this one since it is a step outside my comfort zone genre-wise, and it's set in Japan by a Japanese author. Since I harbor feelings of great affection for my previous impromptu thriller choice, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I'm hoping this might re-inspire my adventurous book choices (that don't stick to authors and plotlines I love the most).


3. The Mirror Empire (Worldbreaker Saga #1) by Kameron Hurley
I'm still holding out hope that I *might* finish this one, even though I don't typically go for chunkier books at the end of the year.


2. The Greenlanders by Jane Smiley
This is another chunkier book I was planning to read this year. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it, but I'd at least like to give it another try before 2015 ends.


1. Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam #1) by Margaret Atwood
Although I have read a Margaret Atwood already this year, I've been meaning to get to this one as I have the first two books in the series. Also, she's one of my favorite authors, and reading my favorite authors' works tends to put me in a more 'reading' mood than I've been in lately.

A book I've kind of given up on (for now) that was on a previous SFF list of books I wanted to read in 2015:


The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling #1) by Erika Johansen
I've read the beginning of this one twice now, and can't get past a certain point. I'm hoping that the passing of time will make me fonder of this book whenever I pick it up again.

Are there any books you're planning to polish off before the end of 2015? Are there any you thought you'd want to read, only to be underwhelmed by?

6 comments:

  1. I loved Out. I hope you will too. It's very dark. I want to read Oryx and Crake at some point, as well as The Queen of Tearling. Hopefully that one will pick up for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to like darker books, as long as I have a lighter book on hand to read immediately afterward. I've been meaning to read the Oryx and Crake for the longest time, along with The Queen of the Tearling (since that was such a buzz book for a while there). The Queen will just be waiting until I get re-enthused about it and power through the beginning.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Literary Feline!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  2. I really liked The Queen of the Tearling, but couldn't get past halfway in Out. I loved Out at first, but it was dragged out. I was actually just thinking of positing this to the Discussion Group on FB. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this would be a good discussion question, not to brag or anything ;) . I've heard great things about the Queen of the Tearling, but I now realize 'powering through' on some books won't make me interested in them, if I'm not in the mood to read it. I haven't even started Out, so I have no idea how I'll like it, but it just seems like an interesting 'out of my comfort zone' read.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Becca!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  3. Add me to the list of people you know who recommend Daughter of the Forest :) It's perfect for this time of year, too. I have the 2nd book in the series waiting on my shelves for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the first *two* books in the series waiting on my shelf for me. If I see a series book for cheap, it's very hard for me to pass up on, especially when it's fantasy (hard to find in many stores unless it's a mainstay series). So yeah, I probably need to start reading that one soon- I'm glad you recommend it! :)
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Rachelle!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...