Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Month in Review for October 2015: Creepy Forests and How to Save a Life


Although the above photo isn't from October (I haven't been taking many photos lately) it is of interest to the month of October, as I learned the place I took this photo (where I always take my dogs walking) has unusual paranormal activity, but not of the ghostly variety. The nature area where this was taken has high EMF (Electric and magnetic fields) readings. despite not having electricity within a mile of the area, along with having an unusual amount of photo disturbances (commonly referred to as 'orbs'). I haven't caught a photo disturbance yet (that I know of), but the place has a weird (for lack of a better word) presence that makes you feel like you aren't alone, even when your car is the only one in the parking lot. Usually nature areas don't give me that feel, but this one is rather odd. It is still my favorite place to walk my dogs, as the trail is paved (unheard of back in Montana) and I love the forested area it wanders through.

Statistics:
 Total Posts: 16!
  Total Critiques: 6
  Genres:
    Historical Fiction: 1
    Urban Fantasy: 1
    Mini Macabre Reviews: 4

Most Popular Posts of October:
Recommendations: World Literature
NQAC: Biweekly Update #20: On the Travel the World in Books Readathon, Leashes, and Cool Cats
SFF: The 5 Scary Movies You Want to Read the Book Version Of
SFF: The 5 Scary-Sounding Books You Want to Read
MMRM: "The Haunted House: A True Ghost Story" by Walter Hubbell
MMRM: "The Body Snatcher" by Robert Louis Stevenson and "A Terribly Strange Bed" by Wilkie Collins
NQAC: Biweekly Update #19: Edgar Allan Poe Swag and the Start of Knitting Season

Pageviews for the Month: 1273!
Comments: 18!

Reading Challenges Updates:

Snowflake and Spider Silk Bingo Challenge


Applicable Books:
From January:
Song of Blood and Stone (Earthsinger Chronicles #1) by L. Penelope (POC main character)
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate #1) by Gail Carriger (New to me author)
Changeless (Parasol Protectorate #2) by Gail Carriger (2nd book in a series)
Blameless (Parasol Protectorate #3) by Gail Carriger (female author)
From February:
Unseen (Unborn #2) by Amber Lynn Natusch (published 2015)
Written in Red (The Others #1) by Anne Bishop (Urban Fantasy)
From March:
Stardust by Neil Gaiman (written before 2000- it was first published in 1998)
Anthem by Ayn Rand (Novella/Short Story)
Moxyland by Lauren Beukes (Dystopia)
From April:
The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Humorous SF/F)
"The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil #1)" by Soman Chainani (fairy tale retelling)
From May:
"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley ("classic" SF/F)
From June:
"The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard #1)" by Scott Lynch (Heists and Cons)
From July:
None!
From August:
"Kesrith (The Faded Sun #1)" by C.J. Cherryh (Non-Human Main Character)
"The Sleeping King" by Cindy Dees and Bill Flippin (Epic Fantasy)
From September:
"Shon'jir (The Faded Sun #2)" by C.J. Cherryh (space travel)
"The Golem and the Jinni" by Helene Wecker (debut author)
"The Martian" by Andy Weir (Audiobook- my first since 4th grade)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1) by Douglas Adams (Aliens)
From October:

I don't think I'll be getting many more done, the exception being the 'Dragons' square, but perhaps I will. I never know where my reading moods will take me.


Travel the World in Books Challenge



Applicable Books:
See my three applicable books on my TTWIBRAT Update/Wrap Up.

Reading Stats:



Books read this Month: 9

Book Stats:
Has a Diverse Main Character: 1
Doesn't Have a Diverse MC: 8... *leh sigh*
Female Main Character: 7
Male Main Character: 2
Pair and/or Group of Female/Male Main Characters: 0
Genre:
 Urban Fantasy: 1
 Historical Romance: 3
 Memoir: 1
 Magical Realism: 1
 Science Fiction: 2
 Contemporary Fiction: 1
Published in 2015: 4
Published in 2000-2014: 2
Published in 1990s: 1
Published in 1980s: 1
Published in 1970s: 1
Self-Published, Small Press, or Other: 1
Traditionally Published: 8
Series Books: 6
Standalones: 3
Ebook Version: 6
Paper Version: 3
Favorite of the Month: Probably Local Girls by Alice Hoffman, as she's my favorite author. Tough to beat that.
Least Favorite of the Month: The Harlot Countess (Wicked Deceptions #2) by Joanna Shupe- it really killed my enjoyment of the first book with one scene. It was simply okay.
From the-pile: 3
From the-invisible-pile: 2
Recently acquired: 4
Added to the-invisible-pile: 2
Books bought: 5
Pages Read in 2015 Thus Far (according to Goodreads, which often features incomplete data): 23,920 pages

Ratings:
5 Stars: 0
4-4.5 Stars: 3
3-3.5 Stars: 4
2-2.5 Stars: 2

Author Stats (1 = 1 book read by x author):
Male: 1
Female: 8
Male/Female Team: 0
Diverse: 0
Not-so-Diverse: 9
Living: 8
Deceased: 1

Planning to Read in November/Upcoming Posts:


I will reiterate what has become my mantra on these posts: I want to read more fantasy, dang it! For whatever reason, any time I pick up a fantasy book recently, I just can't get into it. I'm thinking my chronic headaches are part of it- when I pick up a book, I really don't want to think much lately/visualize whatever is being described. I have no problems reading my own fantasy writing, but someone else's? It amazes me, as last year I read almost no science fiction and tons of fantasy, and yet this year, each time I pick up a fantasy book, it just isn't clicking... but reading science fiction this year? Absolutely no problems with visualization, etc. The genres aren't that different, but it seems my mind is either on one side or the other, and this year it's science fiction's turn.

As for upcoming posts, I have a big backlog of book reviews I'm hoping to bang out, including Kutath, Local Girls, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Since lately my procrastination machine has been set on "Tomorrow is Another Day", I can't guarantee they'll all be written this month, but I hope they will be.

Final Note/How to Save a Life:


If you live in the US, are in good health, happen to be in your younger years, and have diverse ancestry, please consider registering to be a bone marrow donor. I just registered prior to writing this up tonight (procrastination strikes again)- and even though they solicit for donations, you can register and have the kit sent for free. One of my great great grandmothers happened to be Sioux, so I signed up just in case someone needs my marrow- I have enough to go around.

Until next time,

2 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful photo. Peaceful looking. I don't often get to walk in places like that unfortunately. Not enough trees and too much city around me. :-(

    I love the idea of the Bingo challenge. It looks like so much fun. I need to read more Alice Hoffman. I've read two books by her and just love her writing style.

    I want to read more fantasy too. I mean high fantasy. I love high fantasy, but for some reason, it's usually urban fantasy or paranormal romance I turn to for a fantasy fix these days. I love those types of books too, but I miss a good epic fantasy . . . I am sorry to hear your headaches are interfering with your reading. I'm sorry you are having headaches at all, really. I hope you find some relief soon.

    Here's to a great November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm lucky to have a nature area like that nearby, even if it gives me the creeps sometimes.
      Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite authors, probably because she has such an odd writing style. She'll write something completely inspired, and then have an obscenity in the next sentence. ;)
      Fantasy is my favorite (usually) so I'm frustrated that I can't get into it like I used to. My guess is my fantasy reading problems will disappear upon the release of the next Stormlight Archive, Kingkiller Chronicle, or ASoIaF book. The last two I've been waiting a bit too long for.
      Thanks for your concern and stopping by and commenting, Literary Feline!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...