Sunday, March 1, 2015

SFF: The 5 Books That Remind You of Spring

The Sunday Fun Five #22

Sunday Fun 5:
#19: The 5 Books To Kickstart Your Reading Journey
#20: The 5 Character Couples that are Matches Made in Heaven
#21: The 5 Unconventional Romances that Somehow Worked for You
#22: The 5 Books That Remind You of Spring
For the 15th of March: #23: The 5 Irish Authors Whose Works You Want to Read More Of
Feel free to participate by commenting below or writing a blog post: I wrote up some guidelines for blog participation here.


 A Countdown of

The 5 Books That Remind You of Spring



5. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
A budding friendship, two girls named after flowers, and a green cover make this more suited for spring reading, even though most of the ending takes place in the winter months.


4. The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama
This one is begins in early fall, but progresses through springs, when we get to see the Samurai's Garden. It reminds me of spring because of the gardening and a budding romance despite some cultural barriers.


3. King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry
My favorite book as a kid was undoubtedly this one- because horses. Also, wonderful illustrations. It reminds me of spring because the story of the little colt growing up against all odds.


2. Heyday by Kurt Andersen
This book reminds me of spring because it begins in spring, and also a new life for all the characters within it. Heading out west in 1848, a group of friends (and a sister) try to make it to California to find gold. It isn't the shortest read, but well worthy of your time if you're interested in the Old West and/or the California Gold Rush.


1. All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot 
Animals always remind me of spring, and a memoir of a veterinarian's dealings with animals is even better. I always recommend this for any fellow animal lover because Herriot had a way of writing those little animal-isms and stories that make us animal lovers in the first place.

What books do you recommend for spring-themed reading?

2 comments:

  1. I loved all of Marguerite Henry's books growing up! I read them over and over.
    I was horrified to find out that only one other vet and I in our office knew who James Herriot was. How do you work in a vet clinic without knowing that? I've used some of his tips in cases even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I didn't realize (as a kid) that King of the Wind was written by the same lady who wrote Misty, but I definitely read more than my share of horse stories from her as a kid.
      James Herriot is the *best* animal-stories author ever- his books make me laugh and cry, sometimes at the same time. He should be read by pretty much anyone who has to work with animals for any length of time.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Heather!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...