Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Month in Review for August 2017

Torrie sensing a disturbance in the Force

I find myself surprised this year at the lack of rainfall in the area and how many wildfires we're having in the western half of the U.S. When we first moved to this area, we had rain for almost all of August and some of September, so I find myself a bit more worried about wildfires in my vicinity than I'd usually be. I spent a great deal of time this August reading books (and rereading them) for the fun of it. I usually make an attempt to review every book I read, but I've cut myself some slack this year.

Statistics:
 Total Posts: 5
  Total Critiques: 3
  Genres:
    Alt. History: 1
    Sci-fi: 1
    Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance: 1
    Part of a Series: 3

Most Popular Posts of the Past Month:
Fortnightly Update #39: Post-Eclipse Reading
"Naked in Death (In Death #1)" by J.D. Robb
Month in Review for July 2017

Flashback Post (From a Previous Year):
"Deerskin" by Robin McKinley

Pageviews for the Month: 1138
Comments: 11

Reading Challenges Updates:


My Goal: 6 Books
What I've Read So Far: 7 Books! Goal exceeded!

Firstborn & Defending Elysium by Brandon Sanderson (Sci-fi Short Stories, 160 pages [June])
Parable of the Sower (Earthseed #1) by Octavia E. Butler (Dystopian, 345 pages [July])
The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser (Time Travel, 303 pages [July])
Naked in Death (In Death #1) by J.D. Robb (Sci-fi Thriller/Romance [July])
Glory in Death (In Death #2) by J.D. Robb (Sci-fi Thriller/Romance [Aug])
Immortal in Death (In Death #3) by J.D. Robb (Sci-fi Thriller/Romance [Aug])
Cards of Grief by Jane Yolen (Sci-fi [Aug])

Reading Stats:



Books read this Month: 12

For book covers, click here (my GR challenge).

Book Stats:
Has a Diverse Main Character: 1
Doesn't Have a Diverse MC: 11
Female Main Character: 10
Male Main Character: 0
Pair and/or Group of Female/Male Main Characters: 2
Genre:
 Alt History: 1
 Sci-fi: 2
 Sci-fi Thriller/Romance: 2
 Historical Romance: 1
 Paranormal Romance/UF: 3
 Urban Fantasy: 3
Published in 2017: 3
Published in 2000-2016: 6
Published in 1990s: 2
Published in 1980s: 1
Self-Published, Small Press, or Other: 0
Traditionally Published: 12
Series Books: 11
Standalones: 1
Ebook Version: 6
Paper Version: 6
Favorite of the Month: Although it's a reread, White Hot. It makes me chuckle every time I read it.
Least Favorite of the Month: The Captive (Captive Hearts #1) by Grace Burrowes, not because it's a bad book, just because of all the books I read, it was the least memorable.
Most Interesting of the Month (or Book I Learned the Most From): Cards of Grief by Jane Yolen because it was so unusual for a humans-meet-aliens book.
From the-pile: 0
From the-invisible-pile: 3
Recently acquired: 5
Rereads: 4
Added to the-invisible-pile: 0
Books bought: 8
Pages Read in 2017 Thus Far (according to Goodreads): 18,074 pages

Ratings:
5 Stars: 0
4-4.5 Stars: 5
3-3.5 Stars: 7
2-2.5 Stars: 0

Author Stats (1 = 1 book read by x author):
Male: 0
Female: 6
Male/Female Team: 6
Diverse: 0
Not-so-Diverse: 12
Living: 12
Deceased: 0

Planning to Read This Month:


This month, I better finish off my ARCs early so I'll have the reviews ready- I have The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman (a book I've been greatly looking forward to and the prequel to Practical Magic) and I just started Under the Pendulum Sun by Jeannette Ng which is a Victorian era trip to Arcadia (AKA fairyland).

Happy Reading!


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. 10 is still good! This is the most books I've read in a month in a long time, and I think it's because I spent most of my time reading in August.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Evelina!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  2. Woo-hoo! *High Five* We've both exceeded our goals for #SciFiSummer! I haven't written a single review though, and I probably won't. I just can't seem to get myself into the writing mood for anything more than a couple sentences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Well, at least you have your reading goal done. Sometimes the book reviewing muse just isn't there. I've been busy people watching on my porch, which keeps me away from the desktop I blog at upstairs. I like to enjoy the nice weather while it's still around. :)
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Rachelle!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  3. What a great month you had! That's awesome. I have been hearing about fires all over the western U.S. It's always a bit frightening when I hear about one close to home. That and the hurricanes and then the earthquake in Mexico.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did! The fires are terrible, but there has been some cooler weather lately so hopefully they'll taper out. The hurricanes and earthquakes are a bit more worrisome to me since there aren't any human ways of preventing them/fighting them. I've been feeling lucky to have a safe place to live lately.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Wendy! I hope September treats you well!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  4. How did I not comment on this? I know I read it! Twelve books is amazing. I am trying to think what my top monthly total has been and I have no clue. The hurricanes, wildfires, and earthquakes have been unbelievable. I am happy stayed safe from the fires, although I know air quality wasn't good for awhile. I will make sure I comment on your September wrap-up. I hope you had a good one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may have been the Blogger comment eating monster again! I did really well in August- I only wish I'd been able to keep up the pace.

      I'm glad the natural disasters seemed to have calmed somewhat as winter approaches. Of course, I've been avoiding the tv, so I may just be out of the loop. :)
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...