Sunday, January 1, 2017

SFF: The 5 Vintage Sci-fi Books You Recommend (For Vintage Sci-fi Month!)

Sunday Fun Five #70:


#66: The 5 Times You Found the Right Book at the Right Time (Or Did It Find You?)
#67: The 5 New-To-You Authors of 2016 You Wish You'd Read Sooner
#68: The 5 Characters You Won't Soon Forget That You Read About in 2016
#69: The 5 Books You're Excited to Read in 2017
#70: The 5 Vintage Sci-fi Books You Recommend (For Vintage Sci-fi Month!)
For the 15th of January: #71: The 5 Excuses for Buying New Books You Use on Yourself

A Countdown of

The 5 Vintage Sci-fi Books You Recommend (For Vintage Sci-fi Month!)



5. Wild Seed (Patternmaster #1) by Octavia E. Butler (Published in 1980)
I heartily recommend anything and everything Octavia E. Butler has written, despite not having read it all yet myself- I just love her writing style. I like her Patternmaster series because of the idea of superhumans who aren't exactly superheroes, and how they live their lives.


4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1) by Douglas Adams (Published in 1979)
I wasn't at all impressed with the first half of this book, having watched the movie edition prior, but the second half turned my opinion of it upside down. This is an excellent comedic space adventure.


3. Kesrith (The Faded Sun #1) by C.J. Cherryh (Published in 1978)
C.J. Cherryh's books are lasagna in a world filled with potato chip sci-fi books- the worldbuilding drives the plot, but it can also feel a bit on the heavy side. Still, after you finish one piece/book, you think of how good it was and how much you want another.


2. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Published in 1932)
This book is startlingly advanced for the period in which it was published- and as someone interested in the history of advances in medical science, it caught my fancy. You have to keep in mind, though, that this book is less of a story driven book and more of an idea driven one.


1. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Published before you were born, unless you're a vampire or otherwise mortally challenged)
Some people think of this more as a horror story than anything else, but I consider it more sci-fi, since reanimation reminds me more of sci-fi than horror. I was initially hesitant to read this book last year, but ended up loving it despite never getting around to publishing a review.

Which science fiction books have you read and enjoyed that were published prior to your birth?

4 comments:

  1. I loved Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I really want to try Adams's Dierks Gently detective novel. I haven't read any of the other books on your list, but I would like to Frankenstein has long been on my TBR list. I would like to re-try Brave New World someday. I couldn't get through it the first two times I tried. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency was pretty excellent- but I liked Hitchhiker's Guide even more. I would highly recommend Frankenstein, though I know there are a lot of people who didn't like it as much as I did, which is why I was so surprised when I did like it. Brave New World isn't really a traditional novel, so I could see having a hard time getting into it. I hope you finish it someday.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Wendy!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  2. Omgawd, ha ha, before 1956 that I have read? The only two I can think of are The Time Machine, and The Martian Chronicles. I loved The Martian Chronicles and the mini-series was fab, too. Dune is the book I always recommend to everyone, but it was written in 1965 I think. I do know for sure it was written in the 60s somewhere. Hitchhikers is a definite, and I cannot wait to get to an Octavia Butler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to find those- I think I may have the Martian Chronicles, but it would be in the depths of my Kindle library somewhere. I haven't read the Time Machine, but I seem to appreciate a lot of H.G. Wells's works, so it's on my list. I hope you enjoy Octavia E. Butler's books as much as I do!
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...