Sunday, July 3, 2016

SFF: The 5 Authors That Make America Great (No Need For "Trump-eting")

Sunday Fun Five #57:


A Countdown of

The 5 Authors That Make America Great (No Need For "Trump-eting")



5. George R.R. Martin
I think most people (even those who don't read books) have heard of the nefarious inclinations of Mr. Martin. When he's not leaving us hanging on the possible status of our favorite characters, he also supports wolfy charities.


4. Alice Hoffman
Since I mention her so much, I decided to put her further down on the list- she is one of my favorite authors, and one I greatly admire. There's just something about her writing and the characters in her stories that clicks with me.


3. Robin Hobb
It's hard to believe, but prior to this year, I'd never read a Robin Hobb book. Now I've read six, and I still can't believe it took me so long to actually read her books (I've had one of hers on my shelf, untouched, for at least three years. It's criminal book neglect.). She brings characters to life in a way I've never quite experienced before.


2. Patrick Rothfuss
I love Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicle, though I've never reviewed it here. I also love the charity he created Worldbuilders, which supports Heifer International quite bookishly. However, the real reason he's on this list is... his kids are adorable.


1. Zora Neale Hurston
Though she went to her grave mostly uncelebrated, her beautiful wordplay in Their Eyes Were Watching God spurred me to put her at the top of this list. Few books have ever touched me quite like hers did.

Notable Exceptions:
There are so many other American authors I love, but I couldn't fit them all on the list- Anne Bishop, Octavia E. Butler, and Albert French come to mind, and that isn't even the end of my mental list. However, for the sake of brevity and tradition, I'll keep it to five.


Which American authors do you like best? 

4 comments:

  1. I can see truth in all of your choices to this week's question prompt. :-) I still haven't read anything by Rothfuss yet, but I would like to. I just need to dive in, I think. Zora Neale Hurston's work is a true treasure. I am glad she made your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think other than his Kingkiller Chronicles, Rothfuss has only published a children's book (which I'm sure is worth a read). Zora Neale Hurston is one of those unexpectedly awesome authors I found due to my thrift store shopping. Generally, if I buy books online, I only buy from authors I've already read, so it was lucky I picked hers up.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Wendy!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete
  2. I have only read one Alice Hoffman book and it was her one Middle Grade. I bought one of her books for my Kindle, but I do not remember which one it was. I really want to read her Practical Magic books. I still need to read Their Eyes Were Watching God. I kmnow I know, that's awful. I guess my favorite American author would be Harper Lee. To Kill a Mockingbird is my all time favorite book, but I will never read Go Set a Watchman. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I still haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird, so that's pretty awful, too. I've only ever read Alice Hoffman's adult books, with the one exception being her YA, The Foretelling, which I wasn't as keen on. Zora Neale Hurston's work is definitely worth a read.
      Thanks for stopping by and adding your choice, La La!
      ~Litha Nelle

      Delete

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...