Sunday, September 20, 2015

NQAC: Biweekly Update #18: The Post That Got Away and a Virtual Reality Dream Library


Although I haven't truly confessed (as in, Confessions of an Insomniac Book Devourer) in a while, I frequently get post ideas that become fully-fleshed-out in my head. Then I sit down at my office chair to write them down and BAM! I remember the title I was planning to use, as well as the topic, but all those fully fleshed out paragraphs? Gone without a trace. I've tried staring fruitlessly at a rather blank Blogger post page, trying to recall what I had to say previously, but it's as though inspiration has fled me completely. I've tried notes to recall paragraph points, but when I look at them later I'm very confused (and sometimes frightened) by them. Someday soon I'll knock out another Confession, but until my notes/ideas start making any sense, I'll just have to keep Biweekly Updating.

Recent Acquisitions (or the Piling of the-Piles):


the-pile Additions:


The Glimmer Palace by Beatrice Colin
I visited Montana awhile back, and picked this up, along with another copy of The Samurai's Garden, since I love that book and I gifted my original copy to my brother for his birthday. I had seen this at the thrift shop previously, but decided to pick it up this time because I'm looking to Travel the World in Books a bit more often before the end of the year. This is set pre-WWII in Berlin, Germany.

the-invisible-pile Additions:


Tuf Voyaging by George R.R. Martin
The other day when I was bemoaning my reading slump (which was rather short-lived), I thought to myself, "If only George R.R. Martin had a book out, for cheap, that I could devour." A few days later, this was available as an ebook for $2.99. Although not a true novel, it is a collection of short stories about the same character (Haviland Tuf), so I'm excited to read it. I've never read any of Martin's science fiction before.


Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years #1) by Gregory Maguire
This was available for a very limited time for free as an ebook, so I snagged it. I used to have the paper version of it, but after reading so many disparaging reviews, I purged it from my TBR. I love that ebooks take up no physical room.

Currently Reading:


The Third Son by Julie Wu
I know absolutely nothing about Taiwan (other than its geographical location), so I'm hoping to learn more by reading this historical fiction. Not a spoiler, but it begins with a bang.


Kutath (The Faded Sun #3) by C.J. Cherryh
I haven't gotten very far yet, but it's interesting to see other humans' impressions/perspectives on Sten Duncan, who was pretty much the main character in the second book in this series.

Finished These Books:


The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
This was the beast that shook me out of my reading torpor. I read half of it in a day, after being rather miserable with my reading issues during the previous day. After reading this, I must say there is a book for every mood, and sometimes it can just be overwhelming to try and pick one, especially when you have piles of books to read like I do.

In the Blogosphere:

Becca @ I'm Lost in Books reviews The History of Glitter and Blood. I just love fairy books and weird fiction, so I think this one might be my cup of coffee.

If you've ever wondered why I'm tweeting back to you hours after you tweeted something, check out Shannon's post at River City Reading on How to Streamline Twitter with Tweetdeck. I use it to keep track of people, even if they're offline when I tweet back. Insomnia and odd hours are kinda my thing.

Jamie @ Mayhem Books reviews Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, a book in my invisible-pile that I've been wanting to get to soon.

I haven't fully made the rounds this week, so I may have more posts than usual to share next time.

In My Life:

I may have mentioned I bought Skyrim: Legendary Edition in my last update, which I actually didn't think would add much to the experience of the game, since I've already played the base game many (many) times. I quickly reformed my opinion when I realized with the Hearthfire expansion, you can build the library tower of your virtual dreams.

Here's a look at the bottom floor, from Wikia:


And the top, via Chorrol:


My virtual library shelves are currently bare, but I plan on collecting as many virtual books as I can to fill it.

And also, in my 'real' life, I washed the exterior side of our windows with vinegar, because have hard water hitting them from our sprinklers, leaving an ugly ghost of mineral residue. George decided he wants to be a window washing assistant/supervisor whenever he grows up:


Do you suffer from Blog Post Disapparating Disorder? What helps you remember blog post ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...