Sunday, February 8, 2015

NQAC: Biweekly Update #7: The Golden Fleece


I haven't been reading much lately, as my non-blog writing has taken off... and I'm trying to devour my review copies before their publication date (which is hard when the book doesn't really grab you). I've also had trouble with Blogger, which kept giving me errors and refusing to save my half-written blog post. Luckily, I copy-and-pasted it into a safer place and was able to salvage it after rebooting ye olde desktop, but it does make me a little panicky when that sort of thing happens. I can only assume it has more to do with the increasing age of my computer than Blogger itself, as no one else appeared to have any troubles.

Recent Acquisitions (or the Piling of the-Piles):

I've only bought two books recently, one by one of my favorite authors, one I've heard a lot about, and one I was (surprisingly) approved for on NetGalley.


Written in Red (The Others #1) by Anne Bishop
I've heard a lot about this series, and when it came up as a Daily Deal, I had to nab it. Urban Fantasy is now more my 'thing' as I've found my favorite series (Kate Daniels), so I'm hoping this one won't disappoint.



Radiance (Wraith Kings #1) by Grace Draven
I'm holding off reading this until I get all my review copies in a row, but I have a feeling I'll love it (because Grace Draven is one of my favorites). The hero actually resembles one of my creations, but will probably not be anything like mine (or at least I hope so).


Rebel Queen by Michelle Moran (Expected Pub. Date: March 3rd)
This historical sounds so up my alley that I had to request it, but I had feared I got rejected because I hadn't heard back from the publisher in a long time. Lo and behold, I was finally approved and am eager to dig in, as the heroine of this novel (Queen Lakshmi) is compared to Joan of Arc in the synopsis. And plus, it qualifies for my Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge, as it's set in what is now India.

Currently Reading:

The Eterna Files by Leanna Renee Hieber
It isn't looking that good, folks. I'm trudging along 10% at a time (slow for me), and this isn't even a long book at 300-some pages. I hope the ending somehow makes up for all this buildup- and all these characters!

Born to Be by Taylor Gordon
I just got past the two introductions and forward, but had to stop and focus on eating up The Eterna Files, even though this is fascinating.

Finished These Books:

Trials of Artemis (The Haberdashers #1) by Sue London
Actually this was a fun little historical romance I got as a Kindle freebie- the heroine is competent (unbelievably hard to find in HR) and the hero isn't too bad either (has the nickname Lord Lucifer). What made it different was the characters are actually interesting (hard to find in non-Courtney Milan titles) and the plot, although meandering, managed to coerce a grin out of me when it ended.

In the Blogosphere:

A review of The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami at The Bookworm's Closet makes me curious to read it myself.

Nathan of Fantasy Review Barn makes me laugh writing this review: Steampunk Review: ‘Karen Memory’ by Elizabeth Bear.

Miriam of Inky Realms piques my interest in this piece of literature involving Norse mythology: Ragnarok: The End of the Gods by A. S. Byatt.

Cat of Addicted 2 Heroines discusses bookish trends she'd like to see less of in this week's Coffee Shop Talks.

In My Life:

Nothing much to note, other than the Christmas tree is finally down (sad face) and I am ever so eager for spring to come. I simply cannot wait to try out my new haircutting tool on my poor wooly Dorkie, who, at this time of the year, greatly resembles a golden fleece... when she isn't perfectly blending in to the yellow rug.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...