Sunday, November 16, 2014

NQAC: Biweekly Update #4 Winter is Coming...


I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but it's kind of cold outside in the States, and with the cold came inertia for me. I actually haven't read very much because it's so cold my brain has been cryogenically preserved for future generations (sarcasm), but on the creative writing side (i.e. non-blog writing) I've managed to make some headway. In other words, I don't have much to update, but will proceed with this post for posterity.

Recent Acquisitions (or the Piling of the-Piles):



So, you'll notice in the above pic I have two tablets- my original fingerprint-happy Kindle Fire 2013 HD 7 to the right, and a recently acquired Fire HDX (also 2013) to the left (with a perfect reflection of our chandelier). My original tablet I got about a year ago, taking a gamble with ereading (I was a Paperist- one who likes paper books only) because my town has no big box bookstores (and also nowhere to buy new books in my favorite genres). The gamble paid off, and I ended up loving the freedom of buying books in my pajamas. But my original tablet had a lot of trouble with letting me read blogs- particularly if anyone did gif-filled posts. It would also randomly go to the home page while I was reading things on the internet, essentially saying "You've read 200 blog posts today- I quit!"

Hence the new arrival of the HDX, which I'm trying to think of names to give it. It doesn't randomly kick me off the browser or go spastic when presented with gifs, and has a more appropriate storage capacity for all those free books I 1-click purchase.

So, from now on my Recent Acquisitions will be scaled back, despite my penchant for devilish Daily Deals.

I did pick up The Queen of the Tearling (because I want to have an opinion about it- is it worthy of the Hype?) and The Darkest Minds (a freebie), both of which are considered YA, but I was curious about. I'm usually not a YA reader but... all that hype sometimes gets to me. I've considered buying into other uber popular YA series, but I have to prioritize and buy only the books I really think I'll adore. Or click the free ones.

Currently Reading:

The Eterna Files by Leanna Renee Hieber (Just Started)
A steampunk/urban fantasy set in the Victorian period. I actually haven't read much yet because the publish date is so far away (February 3rd 2015) that I want it fresh in my mind then to review it.

Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles #1) by Anne Rice (Page 140/342)
I've always had mixed feelings about reading anything by Anne Rice because of her lack of filter on social media, but so far I like it. I've actually tried to read this before but never got far. I think it reads better when I'm in a less frosty mood.

A Passage of Stars by Kate Elliott (10%)
Ironically, I pulled a different (fantasy) book of hers from the TBR Jar for the November Lottery, but I wanted some sci-fi. This is also an ebook, which is easier to read in cold weather- I can grip a Kindle through a blanket, or have to wear gloves for a physical copy. The best thing about this book is there's been an alien abduction and there is a robot named Bach who communicates through music, and I'm only 10% into it.

Legacy by Susan Kay (page 69/570ish)
This is one of the two I drew from the TBR Jar for my books to read in November. I don't know much about the Tudors other than Henry the Eighth and I'm learning lots from this book. It follows Elizabeth Tudor, who is one of the daughters of King Henry and later becomes queen.

Finished These Books:
These are two romances I picked up for free, but decided not to count them on Goodreads because I read both of them in less than two days, and also because they're both three star reads and I'm trying to pump up my rating average.

One to Hold by Tia Louise (Free Contemporary Romance)
I was a bit upset about this one because of it's false advertising on Amazon. Although it doesn't end on a cliffhanger, it isn't a standalone because there's another book about the same couple, with a problem that originated in this book. It kind of bordered on erotica because of so many sex scenes in such a small (212 page) book, but I skimmed through those and liked the basic plot. I also didn't find the hero distasteful, which happens a lot to me with romance. Basically, it was good enough for three stars, but I felt cheated because of the synopsis saying it was a standalone.

Caversham's Bride (The Caversham Chronicles #1) by Sandy Raven (Historical Romance)
I knew this was part of a series, but I also know most historicals don't have a series about the same couple like contemporary romance, and that was the case with this book. Although its plot was predictable and reminded me of a few stories I've read before, it was entertaining enough. It could probably use some reworking due to the lack of tension- I knew where the plot was going and wasn't scared for either character, but again- the plot is better than most you come across in run-of-the-mill historical romance.

In the Blogosphere:

In case you didn't know, Cute Peach Book Blog is now Mayhem Books.

Angie of Pinkindle reviews Popular by Maya van Wagenen, who decides use a 1950s popularity guide to see if old tricks help her become more popular in school. (Memoir)

Erin of The Hardcover Lover reviews Losing It by Cora Carmack, the plot of which reminded me of an old Twilight fanfic I read back in the day.

Jaclyn of The Book Adventures reviews The Fire Seer (Coalition of Mages #1) by Amy Raby, a genre bending book about Taya, a low-caste fire seer with a bit of an overzealous suitor.

In My Life:
A window that usually looks onto the mountains- but not while it's snowing.
The weather in Idaho is usually much milder than what I experienced in Montana, but it's still pretty cold out here. Instead of venturing out, I've been crafting some Christmas stuff and loom knitting my larger dog, Torrie, a sweater despite her usually adequate fur coat. One thing I enjoy most, other than reading, is a very Victorian habit- painting and making miniatures. My favorite from a few years ago where some plain 3-4 inch tall nutcracker men, and I found another set to do this year.

Above- the new set of plain nutcrackers, below the set I painted and blinged out.
I'm thinking of doing a few book characters as nutcrackers, but I'll have to find different colored fur/hair- white would only do for Gandalf the White and Dumbledore.

Anyone else preparing for the holidays? Or making your list of books you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel Free to Express Yourself:
Agree? Disagree? Have something to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...